Thursday, October 26, 2017

Make your Own Manananggal


Manananggal 


is a mythical creature so ugly and scary fetus sucking monster that preys on pregnant women. 


If you are pregnant and you hear a stump on your roof minutes after 12 midnight you better start praying, because there's a big chance that the Mananaggal has  just landed on your roof and ready to slide it's long tongue in search of your belly...


It's almost Halloween and it's time to create creepy creatures for your home.



Let's Make  some Manananggal, Baby!!!




Here's  a step by step illustration of how to make your very own Manananggal



Materials: 

Lays or Pringles Canister

(2) Electronic candles

Black old shopping bag

Wire

Brown bag/paper

Acrylic /Craft Paint

Thread for the hair

Glue

Balloon

Shredded Japanese paper




Strip the cover off the canister



Draw a pattern on your black shopping bag fabric




Tape a wire to hold the wings up
set aside. 
Let's do the torso next




Cut two sections for the front and 1 section for the back.

The longer side will become the lower part of the body





Wrap a fabric around the hips, glue them.
Attach the wings at the back. In this pic I just temporarily taped just so you see where we're heading



Glue pieces of brown paper into a balloon to create it's head.

Let's be creative

To make the face,  I cut off holes for the eyes and mouth. Made a nose from a twirled piece of paper too. I made her wig from a thread I bought at a thrift store



This wire is  sandwiched by masking tape. I painted this with florescent orange, after. This is the Manananggal's tongue. 





Painted the inside with florescent orange and stuffed shredded red  paper inside

The blouse is actually made of a pair of gardening gloves. I just cut off the four fingers on each leaving the thumb part as it is suppose to be the sleeve part of the blouse

I tied a wire around the upper part to create a neck and hold the electronic candle. The wire functioned as an anchor for the Manananggal's  head too

I also made arms out of taped wire. I just slid it across the sleeves of the blouse





Finished product with lights on! 
My Mananaggal contemplating whether she'd sneak up her neighbor's rooftop.

Although Mananaggal is the most popular Mythical creature in the Philippines, I have not yet encountered a popular story about it. I heard of a good one when I was little but it was more funny than scary actually. I'll tell you about it on my next blog.




This is how she looks when the lights are turned off!




I used two battery operated candles. One inside the head and one for the lower torso. 



Light's off!  
She scared my cat Sophie. :D


Thanks for visiting my page! If you made your own scary Halloween Decors share them here.
Happy Halloween!




No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Featured Post

IMB on BeadStyle!

Aratilis/Eve's Garden Bracelet on BeadStyle Magazine 's  July 2013 issue. Thank You BeadStyle Magazine ! My Aratilis/E...