Wednesday, November 22, 2017

My Aspin Story





My Aspin

Gwangsy, always has a plastered smile on his face  
whenever I'd come home.  

Looking into his "smirky" face,  it's as if he's saying,  "I knew you'd come back  ha! ha! was right!"   It's almost as if he's too proud of his wit that he thinks he's wiser than me. Well, at least that's what his smile looked like.

6 months ago, one sunny morning,  Hubby told me almost
in a hush that  Manong Cesar, the village handyman has 
puppies inside a box.

Curious, I checked out the puppies myself and fell in love in
one of the two tiny brown blue-eyed puppies. 



Mang Cesar lives in a makeshift temporary home, his only means of living was fixing whatever is broken in households inside our small village. I asked Mang Cesar if I can have the male puppy in exchange for  Php 100.00. He said Yes!

When I took Gwangsy home the first thing I did was feed him
water. He finished the whole bowl in seconds. I didn't realize
that he was that thirsty. I thought the other puppy must been this thirsty too? I wondered if Mang Cesar will sense that she is?   Will she be fed and taken care of just like what I will do to the one I took? I was worried and felt a pang of guilt. 


A few days passed I learned that the other puppy got sick and died. I suspect that they did not feed her water and she got dehydrated and her organs just gave way. A horrible thought!  But I heard of that kind of stories too many times in the past, it's sad. 



Gwangsy's 1st day at home



My Aspin Story

Gwangsy is not my first Aspin, in fact, I grew up with Aspins all my life. My first recollection as a child was a dog's face. Venus our childhood dog was an Aspin.  He was brown with splashes of black on his back. Black nose and eyes. Small perky ears and waggy tail. 

Venus likes to play outside during the day and at dusk, he would bark and position himself right across the biggest window of our house and stay there until one of us notices him sitting perfectly still in the middle of the window frame looking almost like a painting.  Venus was treated very much like a part of the family, he even goes to church with us every Sunday. He would sleep by the pews while the mass was going on. I was about 3-4 years old then. To date, I think I may have had about 15-20 dogs in my entire lifetime.



Dog Breed: Aspin

What is Aspin? How do you identify them from the rest of the pure breed dogs?

Aspins are mongrel dogs in the Philippines. They are a mixture of different breeds. There are no specific features to identify them because each one is a mixture of a unique combination of different breeds, hence they possess different attitudes and characters as well as physical features. Some are tall, some are short, some posses long fur some have short.  Others have small perky ears others have long loopy ones. Their noses differ too, some have pink some have brown and black. Fur colors vary from black, white, brown and or a mixture of these 3 colors.

Is it's safe to say that there are two general classifications of dogs that exist today i.e. The Pure Breeds and the Aspins?

Aspin as Mudbloods


Dogs don't understand all human language spoken to them that's why when people throw insults aimed at my Aspins and call them "panget' (ugly), I take that personally, and that single comment is enough to fire me up and I get angry.

Many claim they are "dog lovers" BUT chose to love dogs with specific breeds only.  Just like how a lot of us would look up to rich friends and set aside the "not so rich"  friends,  It's the same treatment for dogs, a lot of Pinoys choose to love dogs with expensive breeds.  The expensive ones are the only ones entitled to cuddle in bed, sleep inside the house, eat dog food and get vaccinations, they even have Instagram and Facebook accts.  Meanwhile, our very own Aspins are chained outside the house all year round under rain or scorching heat that killed so many in the past due to dehydration and heat strokes. Just because, they're "mudbloods", mixed breed, Askals.  





Gwangsy at 4 months 


Love for Dogs Runs in the Family

Early today, my brother,  Tata sent me a link that led me to Reel Time's documentary about two different women that adopted dogs despite poverty. These women possess hearts of Gold and I cried with them while watching them on You Tube.  Please watch Reel Time's Ampon.  

And yes, that link was a nudge for me to finish this blog about Aspins. I've been putting this on hold for a month now. Thank you, bro Tata.  I know you love dogs as much as I do. Someday, we'll buy a big farm, adopt dogs and call it, "Aspin's Park". 

Someday. 



Gwangsy is the inspiration behind the FB Group Aspin & Puspin World.  See you there. 




Dog Leash by Lazada (and Harness too)









6 comments:

  1. When i saw Baby Gwangsy. I thought it was my dog omyghad same look, same colour of eyes, same body and all. Omg how cute... My fraza is only 1 month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, but Gwansgy looked like our dog Mars too. I guess Gwangsy looks like lots of other dogs out there too. Hug your dog Franza for me and Gwang :)

      Delete
  2. You have done a great job on this article. It’s very readable and highly intelligent. You have even managed to make it understandable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. If you are screaming out “puppies for sale” you’ve come to the most elite essay puppies for sale....Click here

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done a great job on this article. It’s very readable and highly intelligent. You have even managed to make it understandable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. If you are screaming out “puppies for sale” you’ve come to the most elite essay puppies for sale....
    my dog just sleeps all day

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pet Nagi and your pet Gwangsy are almost the same but different in color, mine is white. Anyway you did a great job! We must treat all breeds of dogs equally.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Featured Post

IMB on BeadStyle!

Aratilis/Eve's Garden Bracelet on BeadStyle Magazine 's  July 2013 issue. Thank You BeadStyle Magazine ! My Aratilis/E...